- Longitude by Dava Sobel:A rousing tale of history and discovery, Longitude covers the desperate search by the ruling monarchies of Europe to find a way to learn Longitude in sea travel. Ships just followed latitude, which could easily be known by the sun’s position, and this extended voyages and exacerbated the consequences of said voyages, like scurvy. The rulers put out prizes and rewards for any solution to this problem. Longitude not only chronicles the failures of many attempts, including one by Galileo, but also the success story of John Harrison, a carpenter, whose chronometer solved the longitude issue.
- Page 73 of Cartography and art was about how the shattering of the common idea of the cosmos impacted art; landscape paintings were now boundless representations of the universe as it was now seen.
- Head Map Manifesto Ideas:
1. “IF ALL YOU HAVE IS A HAMMER EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE A NAIL
A CHANGE IN THE TECHNOLOGY THAT MEDIATES YOUR WORLD CHANGES THE WAY OF THE WORLD”
2. “DOGS AUGMENT THERE ENVIRONMENTS4HEY PISS ON TREES AND LEAVE THEIR SCENT%NCODED INFORMATION FOR OTHER DOGS. KIDS TAG THERE LOCAL ENVIRONMENT IN BOTH CASES THE MESSAGE IS FAIRLY SIMPLE I’M HERE”
3. “NEW TECHNOLOGY BEFORE IT ARRIVES HERALDS DESTRUCTION OR LIBERATION DEPENDING ON WHOSE ACCOUNT YOU HAPPEN TO BE READING. THE INTERNET HAS BEEN ALL AT ONCE AN ANARCHISTS TOOL, A MILITARY TOOL, A TOOL FOR SALESMEN AND BUSINESSES, AND IN GENERAL A COMMUNICATIONS MEDIUM FOR EVERYONE ABLE TO USE IT FOR WHATEVER PURPOSE THEY INTEND”